In addition to shopping, Christmas time is full of tradition, so we thoguht we would share a few little known Christmas facts with you all. So sit down and take a moment or two to remember these facts so that you can stun your friends and family with your knowledge of the weird and wonderful at Christmas.
- The word Christmas is Old English, a contraction of Christ's Mass.
Germany made the first artificial Christmas trees. They were made of goose feathers and dyed green.
- Electric lights for trees were first used in 1895.
- The first Christmas cards were vintage and invented in 1843, the Victorian Era.
- Rudolph" was actually created by Montgomery Ward in the late 1930's for a holiday promotion. The rest is history.
- The Nutcracker" is the most famous Christmas ballet.
- Jingle Bells" was first written for Thanksgiving and then became one of the most popular Christmas songs.
- If you received all of the gifts in the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas," you would receive 364 gifts.
- Holly berries are poisonous.
More diamonds are sold around Christmas than any other time of the year.
- In Mexico, wearing red underwear on New Year's Eve is said to bring new love in the upcoming year.
So there you go. More information than you ever thought you'd need.
Many thanks to Red Letter Studio the wonderful image (did I hear you mention you needed cards...?)