16.6.11

Have You Met...Ruby Louise

One of our favourite The Handmade Show regulars is the lovely Kathleen from Ruby Louise. Ruby Louise carries a fabulous range of jewellery and accessories that suit girls of any age!  Fun and girly to wear, yet elegant in design - surely everyone should have a piece (or two or three!) of Ruby Louise to wear!

We hope you enjoy discovering a bit more about Kathleen and Ruby Lousie :0)

1) Tell us a little bit about Ruby Louise and the items you create.
I was a metalwork major at Melbourne Uni (part of a teaching degree), and had not done much creative work since graduating many years ago, apart from making presents for friends and family. Around 18 months ago after much encouragement from my husband and friends I started Ruby Louise. It started by selling on Facebook first, then I built a Big Cartel website, and in December last year I started doing markets, with the Handmade Show being my first one.

I like to create pieces using lots of different mediums including Swarovski crystals & pearls, Polymer Clay, Lace, Felt and base metals. It can be anything from a small resin flower stud, to a hand stamped Polymer clay piece, to a Lace applique made into a necklace. 

2) Where do you find inspiration for your creations?
I am mainly inspired by nature and natural forms, and also vintage. I am obsessed with flowers and they feature heavily in my work in many different mediums. I love birds, trees, butterflies, leaves and various other forms of nature. I also really love lace, and have just started making a range of polymer clay pieces featuring lace patterns, as well as lace applique necklaces. I tend not to follow a particular look though, which makes my work quite diverse. It is definitely feminine, as I am quite a girly girl. All the pieces I make are ones I would wear myself, so a lot of love goes into every piece. 


3) How does the market experience contribute to your business?
It's one of the best ways to reach members of the public and is an opportunity to gain valuable feedback about your products. It's a great tool for meeting other creative people as well. I have met so many lovely sellers and have developed a wonderful network of friends who are creative. It is an excellent way to reach buyers who appreciate handmade items instead of mass produced unoriginal designs. 

4) Which one of your items should everyone have in their home?
Definitely my resin flower studs. They come in a huge range of colours so there is a pair to match every outfit. 

5) When not at The Handmade Show, where can we find you?
Monthly at Yarraville markets, and periodically at Take 2, South Yarra Market, Round She Goes. Also through my website www.rubylouise.com.













Thanks Kathleen for taking the time to answer our Fabulous Five Questions.

3 comments:

  1. great interview!! lovely work too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving me the little flower studs - might be a present to self this weekend :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. read your post about selling in Facebook. Facebook is one of the largest social network on earth, hence selling in Facebook was definitely a great idea. By the way, have you heard of Easy.my? It's a wonderful tool that helps you to create your own online shop with the feature of selling in Facebook. Starting an Online Shop with Easy.my is as easy as frying an egg. You can have a look at it on their site at http://Easy.my

    ReplyDelete

Hi! :) thank you so much for stopping by, we would love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails